Although the traffic in Chandler, AZ, is not as busy as that in Phoenix, accidents still happen. As a driver, you do your best to avoid them, but what if you fail one day? The best thing you can do is to get in touch with a Chandler auto accident lawyer.
However, the respective lawyer may not be able to come and assist you at the accident scene. Until you get a chance to talk to them, it helps to know the most important laws in force. Most of them are part of Arizona Revised Statutes Title 28 (Transportation).
Knowing these laws means knowing your duties, rights, and options. It can also help you avoid mistakes that could jeopardize your case. Finally, it will save time in the discussions with your auto accident attorney. We will review the most important laws in the following lines.
Laws All Drivers Should Know Before Contacting an Auto Accident Lawyer in Chandler AZ
- A.R.S. 28-662. Drivers involved in accidents have the obligation to stop at the accident scene. If there were no injuries or deaths, they should clear the road to avoid obstructing traffic. Leaving the accident scene brings about penalties and could represent an admission of guilt. It is better to stop and contact a Chandler auto accident attorney.
- A.R.S. 28-663. When an accident results in injuries or death, the drivers should arrange for medical assistance. They should also provide information like name, address, and vehicle registration number. Finally, they should report the accident to the police, if the damage exceeds $1,000 or there were injuries.
- A.R.S. 12-542. Under Arizona statutes of limitations, accident victims have two years to file a civil lawsuit. However, the deadline is much tighter for insurance claims. Most insurance companies request their clients to act within a “reasonable period”. This would mean days, weeks at most. The clock starts ticking at the time of the accident. To avoid delays drivers should consult a Chandler auto accident lawyer as soon as possible. The latter will need time to gather the necessary evidence and follow procedures. In some circumstances, it is possible to file a lawsuit even after two years. An auto accident lawyer can analyze all case details and identify the available options.
- Insurance requirements – All motor vehicles operated on Arizona roadways need liability insurance. The requirement covers not just cars but also golf carts, mopeds, and motorcycles. For property damage, coverage starts from $10,000 property damage per event. For personal injury, the minimum coverage is $15,000 per person and $30,000 per event. When the party at fault is uninsured/underinsured, the victims should consult an auto accident lawyer. The latter may be able to recover their losses from another party. Some options are the victims’ insurer, the driver at fault, the driver’s employer, third-parties.
- Comparative negligence. Under Arizona laws, the party at fault for the accident covers all losses. However, under the “pure comparative fault” rule, both parties can be at fault. In such cases, each party covers the damages corresponding to their fault percentage. It goes without saying that each party will try to blame the other party. That is why many cases turn into battles between the parties’ Chandler auto accident lawyers. For the party at fault or their insurer, working with a great auto accident lawyer means paying less. For accident victims, working with the best auto accident lawyers in Chandler often ensures higher compensations.
- The burden of proof. In Arizona, the burden of proof in car accident cases falls on the victim. They will need evidence for both the other driver’s liability and their own losses. Under the circumstances, the evidence-gathering process should begin at the accident scene. The victims should take photos, videos, and notes of how everything happened. They should document any damages, get witness contact information, and undergo a medical exam. They will need to prove their injuries and related medical expenses. Some Chandler auto accident attorneys conduct their own investigations to find the necessary evidence. With time, evidence gets lost and witnesses forget details. That is why it is very important for auto accident attorneys to start working on the case as soon as possible.
Get in Touch with an Experienced Auto Accident Attorney in Chandler, AZ, Now!
When a car accident occurs, knowing the law is not enough. As a victim, you need to prove your case in order to obtain compensation for your losses. The best way to do that is with the help of a Chandler, AZ, auto accident lawyer. You’ll find some of the most experienced and dedicated auto accident attorneys at Warnock MacKinlay Law. Use the online form or call 480-757-3211 to schedule a free consultation!