Slip and fall accidents can often result in serious injuries. Sometimes, the injured party does not even realize the severity of the fall initially. If you live in Arizona and if you have suffered an injury because of a slip and fall accident, you should contact an Arizona slip and fall lawyer immediately. You need to find out how you can seek compensation if the accident occurred due to the negligence of a third party, such as the property owner.
What are Slip and Fall Accidents?
As per the legal provision in Arizona, all property owners are required to keep their property safe. If they fail to do so, they can be held liable in case someone incurs an injury. However, remember that you cannot claim any compensation if you suffered a slip and fall accident while you were trespassing on someone’s private property. If you want to pursue a compensation claim in case of a slip and fall accident, your fall lawyer will have to confirm three things:
- That the property owner was fully aware of the hazard
- That the property owner chose not to fix that hazard.
- That the person who got injured was on the property premises legally and suffered an accident because of the hazard.
Some Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Defective stairs
- Unsafe or broken handrails
- Wet floor
- Icy, wet, snowy sidewalk
If you were injured because of a slip or fall accident, the injured party should speak to an Arizona slip and fall lawyer immediately. Remember, if you want to seek compensation for a slip and fall injury, your Arizona fall lawyer will have to prove liability on the part of the person you believe is responsible for the accident. Your Arizona slip and fall lawyer will have to provide evidence that would confirm the fact that your injury was because of another negligent party.
In order to do so, you and your fall lawyer will have to show evidence that clearly proves that the property owner in question was aware of a hazardous situation and failed to correct or fix it. We often see warning signs in restaurants, grocery stores, and even school hallways that say “Wet Floor.” This is an example of taking action and making the other party aware of a situation that could become hazardous. If the person responsible for doing so fails to take these precautionary measures and someone gets hurt, the owner/caretaker/manager will be held liable. But your lawyer will have to prove this fact. Merely stating that you injured yourself because of a certain person is usually not sufficient. You will have to show that the owner failed to fix a possibly dangerous situation and/or failed to issue a warning.
In order to make sure that your slip and fall accident lawyer is able to prepare a strong argument on your behalf, you should provide as much information as you can about the accident. You should do this immediately after the fall because sometimes, owners can get rid of the evidence pretty quickly. It is always a good idea to take photos, if you are able to, as this would document the scene of the accident and would help you prove that your injury was caused because of a third party’s negligence. It is your responsibility to provide as much information as you can. A more detailed investigation will be conducted by your slip and fall accident lawyer.
When Can You Claim Compensation for a Slip and Fall Accident
In theory, it is the property owner’s responsibility to remove any potential hazards. However, not all injured parties can claim compensation. There are three types of situations that can occur:
- If the injured party was invited into a building, store, or somebody’s home and they suffer an injury, they can claim compensation if they have proof that the owner in question was aware of the hazard in question, and failed to fix it or failed to issue a warning.
- If the injured party was someone who was not exactly invited but could visit the property in question legally, they could also file for compensation if they slip or fall. For example, your mailman is not someone you invite, but if they visit your property, they are not doing anything wrong. If during their visit, they incur an injury, the owner may be held liable for any damages that they incur.
- If the injured party was neither invited nor had any legal right or permission visit a property, and if a slip and fall accident occurs, they cannot file a compensation claim nor can they hold the owner accountable because they themselves were trespassing. They did not have permission to visit the properly, hence any injury they incur during this visit is their responsibility alone. Nobody can be held accountable because trespassing is illegal anyway, and the property owner is not responsible for ensuring the safety of trespassers.
If you live in Arizona and if you or someone you love suffered an injury due to a slip or fall accident, you should call our Arizona slip and fall lawyer at Warnock MacKinlay Law as soon as possible. We have a hardworking team of fall lawyers who have the necessary skill and experience to provide you the best legal representation. Our Arizona fall lawyers will make sure you receive the support you need during this difficult time. Injured parties can claim compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and any pain and suffering that occurred because of the injury. We want to help you recover as fast as possible and to ensure you get back on your feet quickly. In order to do so, you will need as much support as possible during this time. Contact our slip and fall lawyer today. You can call or email our office to schedule an appointment. Make sure that you provide our lawyer as much information as possible as this can help them prepare a strong argument on your behalf.